The mission of the Digital Film Department is to cultivate a well rounded educational experience for students; comprising of film production history, theory, and aesthetics. Whether a student’s goal is a career in feature films, to create their own production company, or anywhere in between, they will graduate with the technical esthetic and theoretical skills to succeed in the industry. We encourage those in the program to find a focus and follow that path as their skills grow.
Each student will receive hands on experience with state of the art digital filmmaking equipment. Students will be taught screenwriting skills to advance their story and character development. They will learn critical analysis in film critique classes. Students will be asked to facilitate their own production with all its moving parts, from lens selection and framing the shot, down to time management and post-production. As part of the curriculum, students will become skilled in studio lighting technique. For students who are interested in Documentary Production, we offer classes that focus in this area of study. Students will learn skills ranging from interview technique to sculpting an edit for the most engaging story.
Dixie Film Students have the major advantage of working with professionals in DOCUTAH, DSU’s International Documentary Film Festival. Students will learn how to apply creative applications in post production and will have access to a pool of actors within the drama department for their Narrative Film productions. Each semester students will screen their films for critique amongst peers and faculty. We are a department that encourages creativity, self-expression, and critical thinking.
In addition, the Digital Film program includes the opportunity to participate in DSU Films which provides students with real-world experience in their chosen field and adds financial stability to a growing program.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Distinguish industry professional standards within their attitudes, conduct, ethics, and work.
- Create effective visual communication using the elements of story.
- Apply professional film/video working protocol, set etiquette, and safety.
- Collaborate in the completion of a project by functioning as a team member of a crew and understanding the roles of other crew members.
- Appraise and integrate the use of various motion picture film, video and audio production equipment, hardware, and software involved in pre-production, production, and post-production.